This spicy pickle turkey burger recipe is a favorite of health-conscious campers because it’s lean and easy to make. Forget the idea that heart-healthy recipes are hard to make while on an RV or camping trip because that’s just not the case. You can eat healthy on the road just by choosing non-traditional ingredients. In this case, swapping out lean ground turkey for beef and fat-free Greek yogurt for more caloric condiments like mayonnaise.
½ cup fat-free, plain Greek yogurt
½ cup chopped dill pickles
2 Tablespoons chopped pickled hot peppers
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2¼ pounds lean ground turkey meat
1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
Extra virgin olive oil, for brushing
6 whole week English muffins or hamburger buns, split
Sliced red onion
- Light up your grill or preheat a grill pan. In a medium bowl, mix the Greek yogurt with the dill pickles and hot peppers to create your spicy pickle sauce. Season the mixture with salt and black pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl, gently knead the turkey with the paprika and 1½ teaspoons of salt. Form the meat into 6 patties, about ¾ inches thick. Brush the patties with olive oil, and then season with salt and black pepper as desired.
- Grill the patties over moderately high heat, turning once or twice, until thoroughly cooked (10 to 15 minutes).
- Grill the English muffins or buns on both sides until toasted (about 2 minutes).
- Spread the pickle sauce on the English muffins. Add the turkey burger, lettuce, onion and tomatoes. Close up the sandwiches and serve your lean turkey burger recipe!
For even more flavor, you can prepare your spicy pickle sauce the night before, and then just store it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to grill your turkey burgers the next day. Remember that less fat doesn’t have to mean less flavor — especially with this spicy pickle turkey burger recipe! If you’re looking for another simple meal to make while RVing or camping, try an easy chili recipe.
Serving size: 6
Total time: 30 minutes