Have you ever lost your cool while RVing? It happens. Some of the things we love most about RVing, like the elements of adventure and excitement for example, can also cause a little stress from time to time. Just remember that there are things you can do to keep your cool and avoid unnecessary meltdowns on the road.
Tips For Chill RVing
- Consider your time of departure. Leave before dawn if you can to avoid the extra traffic and get in a few hours of quiet drive time in while the family snoozes.
- Use your GPS or map out your options for rest stops and restaurants before you leave. This will prevent you from losing your cool when you accidentally breeze past an exit because you already know when and where you’ll have the chance to stop again.
- Don’t forget to bring your sense of humor. If you are a passenger, bring up a few silly videos on YouTube or find a happy tune that you can sing along to on the radio. Laughter is a great stress reliever and mood lifter!
- Even if you are one of those “I don’t like to stop anymore than I have to” people, make it a point to get out and stretch every couple hours. Your body and your mind will appreciate it. Don’t be reluctant to pull over if something piques your interest. After all, it’s about the journey, right?
- If you are riding along as a passenger, use the time to catch up with family and friends by phone. Chat with your mom, your cousins, or your best friends.
- Take the back roads or smaller highways. Get off of the freeways and toll roads unless they are your only option. You’ll get a better feel for what a certain part of the country is like while driving through all the little towns that you would normally bypass.
- Make sure you have plenty of water and snacks. Hunger and thirst can cause episodes of crankiness. If you see one, stop off at a roadside fruit seller – they always have the freshest local produce.
- If you are RVing with a group, allow one another to stop and go as needed along the way, knowing you will all meet up at your destination. Take any pressure of making others happy off your plate.
- Bring along some calming essential oils like lavender or bergamot and use a diffuser to help you relax while on the road.
Have any other suggestions for chilling out while on the road? Visit our Easy Escapes RV Facebook page to share your ideas or come see us in person at our Naples, FL location.