Wondering why you always feel so relaxed when living the RV lifestyle? Ever notice that the length of your attention span and your mood are elevated when you spend time outdoors while RV camping? If so, you are not alone. Researchers are discovering that surrounding yourself with nature can be one of the most powerful forms of stress-relief there is.
- When you go RV camping at a state or national park, you are surrounded by picturesque landscapes and the calming attributes of nature. In an AARP bulletin article, environmental psychologist Marti Erickson has stated that time spent in nature “may be one of the best and most accessible natural stress-busters any individual or family could find.”
- According to a University of Colorado Boulder study, it has been proven that nature and green space help enable children to improve their attention spans. A less distracted and more focused family — good reasons to experience the RV lifestyle by taking the kids on a camping trip this summer.
- There are theories that time spent in nature may allow the prefrontal cortex, your brain’s command center, to dial down and rest. David Strayer, a cognitive psychologist at the University of Utah, supports this hypothesis based on a recent article in National Geographic Magazine, titled “This Is Your Brain on Nature.”
- The respect of nature leads to a deeper sense of spirituality. Nature teaches us that each individual is unique, but also part of a larger whole. Aside from social pressures, standards of conduct, and the demands of others, nature gives you the opportunity to appreciate a grander sense that the world is alive, fascinating and meaningful.
- Outdoor experiences can give you optimistic confidence in the predictability of nature. You learn how to better trust your innate ability to overcome both expected and unexpected obstacles. In other words, you learn how to manage with whatever comes your way, which in turn builds confidence and a sense of achievement.
Considering these stress-relieving benefits of the outdoors, you may want to take advantage of the RV lifestyle by planning a summer camping trip to one of America’s National Parks. If you do, don’t forget to share your RV photos and videos with us on the Easy Escapes RV Facebook Page or on Twitter @EasyEscapesRV.