The Fort Myers, Florida spectator sports scene was once limited to spring and summer amateur baseball, but that’s not the case these days. Southwest Florida now hosts spring training for two of the 18 major league teams in the Florida Grapefruit League, the Class A Fort Myers Miracle baseball team, the Florida Everblades hockey team, and the Florida Tarpons indoor arena football team. If you want to take in a live sporting event in Fort Myers, just take your pick from the following teams and venues.
- Florida Everblades Hockey. As the 2012 Kelly Cup Champions, the Florida Everblades have led the ECHL (formerly the East Coast Hockey League) in attendance in ten of their 18 seasons. Home regular season games are held from mid-October through the first part of April at Germain Arena in Estero. Game schedules and ticket prices are available online.
- Boston Red Sox Baseball Spring Training. Die-hard Red Sox fans already know that their team plays more than 20 games at JetBlue Park. The success of the team’s world championship season in 2013 kicked off in Fort Myers during spring training that year. Ticket prices and schedules are released in mid-November, with ticket sales beginning in December or January. Check the Florida Grapefruit League website to plan your spring training visit to JetBlue Park in advance.
- Minnesota Twins Baseball Spring Training. The Minnesota Twins begin spring training at Hammond Stadium in Fort Myers during the month of February and games run through the end of March. Tentative spring training schedules are posted online in advance.
- Fort Myers Miracle Baseball. The Fort Myers Miracle is the Class A Advanced minor league baseball affiliate of the Minnesota Twins Major League Baseball club that is based in Fort Myers, Florida. Regular season home games are held at Hammond Stadium and start during the month of April.
- Florida Tarpons Arena Football. This professional indoor arena football team is based in Estero, Florida with games being held at Germain Arena. The Florida Tarpons are currently a member of the Arena Pro Football (APF) league. The team started playing in 2012 as an expansion team of the Ultimate Indoor Football League (UIFL). Check the Arena Pro Football League website for game schedules and ticket information.
Use this list of live sporting event options near Fort Myers, Florida, to start planning your next family outing. Besides, a trip to a live sporting event is the perfect reason to invite family or friends for a ride in your RV! Call us at (239) 302-3789 if you’d like more information on pre-owned RVs in the Fort Myers area.
Photo Credit: The Beaches of Fort Myers & Sanibel